Monday, June 8, 2009

Book 19 of 2009: Succulent Prey by Wrath James White


Succulent Prey is the story of Joseph Miles, who was victimized by a child murderer at a young age. He was the only survivor, but feels that he was given a disease by his tormentor that has caused him to have cannibalistic urges that are over time getting increasingly worse. Miles goes on a journey throughout this book in search of a cure for this disease in order to absolve himself of being a killer. Along the way he falls in love with a girl, and the tension increases as he searches for the cure in hopes that he will be able to cure himself before he is incapable of resisting the urge to kill her.

This is a powerful and intense book! White has done an amazing job with depicting scenes graphically to where the reader can visualize exactly what is going on. To some, this might be too much, as it is heavy on the gore scale, but for the heavy-hitter horror fans, this is a must read! The character of Joseph Miles is one of the strongest characters I've encountered in my reading in a long time. I found myself cheering for him throughout the book in hopes that he would find the cure for the disease. Granted, there were also times where I found myself hating Miles and wanting to chuck the book across the room. When an author can make me feel for the character that strongly, that's when I know I'm reading a great book and I know I will read more by the author. Highly Recommended.

Contains: Cannibalism, Gore, Sex, Violence, Profanity

(Review also posted on MonsterLibrarian.Com)

No comments:

Post a Comment