Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Book #20 - one of those hideous books where the mother dies by Sonya Sones


ISBN: 0689858205
Format: Hardback, 268pp
Pub. Date: April 27, 2004
Genre: Teen Fiction
Not part of a series
Checked out from library mobile

From the Publisher

My name is Ruby

This book is about me.

It tells the deeply hideous story of what happens when my mother dies and I'm dragged three thousand miles away from my gorgeous boyfriend, Ray, to live in L.A. with my father, who I've never even met because he's such a scumbag that he divorced my mom before I was born.

The only way I've ever even seen him is in the movies, since he's this mega-famous actor who's been way too busy trying to win Oscars to even visit me once in fifteen years.

Everyone loves my father.

Everyone but me.

My Opinion of the Book

I believe this is the 3rd book I've read by Sones and I really enjoy her writing style as well as her stories. I know lots of readers don't enjoy the prose format and honestly, I didn't think I would either, but it really doesn't feel like it's written in poetry.

Of the three Sones books I've read, I believe this story was my favorite. I loved the transitions that Ruby made in dealing with her mother's death and all the changes in her life. Some of it was predictable, but some of it still surprised me. The whole dream sequence before the earthquake was very interesting and I also liked how Ruby continued emailing her dead mother throughout the book in coping with her emotions a bit more.

Looking forward to finding other books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment